Reader L sent this question:
You wrote a while ago about switching to cosmetics that aren’t tested on animals. I’d like to make that switch, but I’m not sure where to start. It seems overwhelming to research all the beauty products on the market. What products do you use?
In case you missed it, I believe L is referring to this post. I’m a little hesitant to post a full list of the products I use for fear of seeming high-maintenance (don’t judge!), but I did do a good bit of research on this topic, and I’m happy to share that research if it will help you make the switch to cruelty free products. European readers don’t need to worry about this, as animal testing for cosmetic purposes is banned in the European Union.
One easy way to tell if a product you use is tested on animals is to look for a little symbol on the label indicating that the product is cruelty free. The symbol may be a leaping bunny, a bunny with heart-shaped ears, or a this line-drawing rabbit logo. Another way to check whether a brand tests on animals is to consult Beautypedia’s Animal Testing Report Card.
Here are the products I’m using right now:
- Shampoo: OGX Hydrate + Color Reviving Lavender Luminescent Platinum Shampoo
- Conditioner: OGX Hydrate + Color Reviving Lavender Luminescent Platinum Conditioner
- Deodorant: Crystal Essence Mineral Deodorant Roll-On
- Lotion: CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion
- Face Cleanser: CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser
- Exfoliant: Alpha Skincare Intense Renewal Serum 14% Glycolic Acid
- Acne Treatment: Paula’s Choice CLEAR Extra-Strength Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution
- Vitamin C Serum: Paula’s Choice RESIST Ultra-Light Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum
- Dark Spot Serum: Eminence Organic Bright Skin Licoricce Root Booster-Serum
- AM Moisturizer: CeraVe AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion, SPF 30
- PM Moisturizer: CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion
- BB Cream/Foundation: Physician’s Formula Super BB Insta-Ready
- Concealer: bareMinerals Correcting Concealer
- Blush: The Body Shop All-In-One Blusher
- Eyeliner: Physician’s Formula Eye Booster 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Eyeliner + Serum
- Mascara: NYC Big Bold Volume by the Lash; bareMinerals Flawless Definition Waterproof Mascara
- Highlighter: Physician’s Formula Powder Palette Mineral Glow Pearls
- Lip Balm/Gloss/Color: Burt’s Bees Lip Shimmer; Burt’s Bees 100% Natural Moisturizing Tinted Lip Balm; Pixi Shea Butter Lip Balm; Physician’s Formula Matchmaker pH Powered Lip Gloss
Phew! What cruelty-free health and beauty products do you use and love? Tell us in the comments!
If you enjoyed this post, please share.
DISCLOSURE: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. All products linked in this post are products I have personally purchased and used.